Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chicken Saltimbocca

My mama makes this for us all of the time at home and it's my go to recipe to impress. Fairly simple, mostly healthy, and really delicious.

Ingredients:
Fresh spinach (get more than you think you need)
1 clove of garlic, diced
6 (3-ounce) chicken cutlets, pounded to evenly flatten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 paper-thin slices prosciutto
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 (14-ounce) can low-salt chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I used half a lemon)
A pour of white wine (specific, I know. Probably 1/4 cup)
Tablespoon of flour or cornstarch, whatever thickener you have

Directions:
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil (I never measure so that's a guess. Just cover the bottom of the pan a little) and the garlic in a pan over high heat. Add the spinach and saute until it's cooked.   

While the spinach is cooking, pound the chicken cutlets. Place them flat on the work surface and sprinkle with black pepper. Lay 1 slice of prosciutto atop each chicken cutlet.

Arrange an even, thin layer of spinach atop the prosciutto slices. Sprinkle the Parmesan evenly over each. Beginning at the short tapered end, roll up each chicken cutlet as for a jellyroll. Secure with a toothpick.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken and cook just until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, white wine, and flour and scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Simmer the cooking liquid over high heat until it is reduced to about 2/3 cup, about 5 minutes. Season the cooking liquid with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove toothpicks from the chicken. Drizzle the reduced cooking liquid over the chicken and serve immediately.

Notes:
I like to serve this over pasta because I really like the taste of the sauce. It has the sweetness from the wine and broth, the saltiness from the prosciutto, and the citrus from the lemon. The sauce wasn't as thick as I wanted so I added more flour. I forgot to raise the temperature of the sauce afterwards to high heat so it didn't reduce enough. You could also add some butter and make it a rue but I didn't think it needed that.  
Make sure you really saute the chicken before adding the liquids. I don't think I sauted mine for long enough because the chicken wasn't as browned as I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment