Friday, January 11, 2013

Crock Pot Pork and Ramen Soup

I made only half because I think the whole recipe wouldn't fit in the crock pot, so all of these amounts are pretty approximate.  This was delicious though, and really cheap/easy -- only 15 min in the morning and another 15 at night.

Ingredients
large onion
4 cloves garlic
about an inch of fresh ginger (I sliced it but I think you're supposed to mince or grate)
1 Tb vegetable oil
5 cups chicken broth (maybe next time I'll use some more -- the noodles absorb a lot of it)
3 handfuls shiitake mushrooms (I forgot to stem them, you should do that)
~1lb pork shoulder (I don't really know what I got.  I asked for boneless pork ribs and he told me he had a piece near the shoulder that would be similar, so I got that)
2 packages ramen noodles (discard flavor packets)
4 handfuls baby spinach
1 Tb white miso
1 Tb soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Sliced scallions (it says 2, I used more than that)

Microwave onions, garlic, and oil in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes, then transfer to slow cooker.

Stir broth and mushrooms into slow cooker. Season pork with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker. Cover and cook until pork is tender, 6 to 8 hours on low or 5 to 7 hours on high.

Transfer pork to cutting board, let cool slightly, thin shred into bite-sized pieces. Let soup settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon. Stir in noodles and spinach, cover and cook on high until noodles are tender, 3 to 8 minutes.

Stir in shredded pork, miso, scallions, soy sauce and sesame oil, and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with additional miso and additional soy sauce to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment