Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lamb & Eggplant Quinoa

I had some eggplant about to go bad in the fridge and some frozen sausage that I wanted to use.  That didn't seem like enough food so I added quinoa.  It was pretty good, but I wasn't a huge fan of the sausage I used, so next time I used ground lamb because it was on sale at the store and it was amazing.

Also I thought I already posted this so I don't have a picture -- oops.

Ingredients:
Olive oil
2 eggplants
A bunch of fresh thyme leaves, probably 2 Tb
1 clove garlic, quartered
1 package of ground lamb (it was like 3/4lbs I think)
1 1/2 to 2 cups quinoa
1/2 cup parmesan

 Preheat the oven to broil.  Chop up the eggplant into bite-sized pieces (maybe 1/2-3/4in), toss it in a little bit of olive oil and roast it until it's mushy and a little charred.

Meanwhile, boil the quinoa in double the amount of water (so if you have 2 cups quinoa, add 4 cups of water) until it absorbs all of it.  I think you are supposed to do this with a top but I forgot the top and it was fine.

In a tiny bit of olive oil (you don't need a lot because the lamb releases a lot of fat), saute the garlic for a minute.  Add the lamb and the thyme leaves and stir it around to break it up, and sauteing until it's almost cooked all the way through.  Add the eggplant, the cooked quinoa and the parmesan and stir until the parmesan is melted.  Serve.

Other things I want to try: adding a little yogurt instead of cheese.  I think I could have done with more thyme too.

No comments:

Post a Comment