Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I would probably call this chicken tortilla soup because my version did not end up being nearly as thick/creamy as enchilada sauce is to me.  Even though there's no tortilla in it.

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-slow-cooker-chicken-enchilada-soup-193675

Ingredients:
1 medium onion
2 large jalapeños
3 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce (I just used a bunch of plum tomatoes I had -- I peeled them and then simmered them while I was chopping stuff, about 20 min, until it turned into a sauce-like consistency)
2 cups chicken stock, plus more for thinning if needed (I did not need, probably because I used more fresh tomatoes)
1 (15-oz) can yellow corn, drained
1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained
2-3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I would not use breast -- I hate how dry it gets in the slowcooker)

Directions:
Chop up the onions, jalapeno and tomatoes.  Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large Dutch oven or skillet over medium heat and saute the onions and jalapeño. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and stir. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle boil, then transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker.

Add the corn, beans, and chicken thighs to a 5-quart (or larger) slow cooker. Cover and set on low for 6 to 7 hours (or high for 4 hours).

Shred the cooked chicken using two forks. Give the soup a taste and season the soup with additional salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper, if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment