Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Apple Pie

After apple picking, I had a ton of apples now sitting in my apt and nothing to do with them. I had never made an apple pie before so I figured why not. This was the most highly rated apple pie recipe on the internet. Really straightforward and nothing special. Next time I try this, I'll definitely do something a little more fancy.

Ingredients:
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie (I suck. I used pre-made)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
7 apples - peeled, cored and sliced
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg beaten for egg wash

Directions:
Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. 

Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and water; bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes.

Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the apples and cover with top crust. 

Use a fork to pinch the edges and cut slits in the top so steam can release. Brush egg wash over the crust.

Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes  


Notes:  
I changed around the order of some of the instructions. It's key that the butter and sugar mixture get poured over the apples before it has cooled or it will solidify.  

I also had to freeze my pie and bake a couple days later so I'm not sure how it affected it. 

Juices spill over so put a baking sheet under the pie tin in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment