Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas with Spicy Swiss Chard Salsa

I love avocados but I hate how you cannot buy them and expect to eat them sooner than a month later. I had leftovers from the black bean and corn burritos last week and wanted to turn them into a quesadillas.  Because I hadn't thought about this weeks ago, I didn't have the avocados for guacamole so I made this spicy swiss chard salsa as a substitute.


Quesadilla Ingredients:
1 chicken tender
2 10-inch tortillas
1/2 cup black bean and corn stuffing 
1/2 cup cheddar, shredded
1 tablespoon spicy swiss chard pesto


Spicy Swish Chard Salsa Ingredients:
1 bunch swiss chard, coarsely chopped
1 handful cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 jalapeno, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pepitas, toasted
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 lime, juice
salt and freshly pepper to taste

Directions:

Place a chicken tender in a saute pan over low heat as you make the salsa.  
Add all of the salsa ingredients to a food processor or blender and puree. By the time you chop, measure, and puree everything the chicken should be cooked.
Remove the chicken from the pan and shred by hand.
Place the tortilla in the pan, sprinkle half of the cheese over the tortilla, then top with the black bean and corn, shredded chicken, swiss chard salsa and the remaining cheese.
Cook on both sides about 5 minutes on LOW heat until the cheese is melted thoroughly. 
Serve garnished with more salsa. 

Notes:
I really liked this salsa so I'm going to try to think of more uses for it. I only used about a 1/3 of it so I have a lot left. The jalapeno gives it a nice kick.
I discovered in college that the key to a good quesadilla is cooking it on very low heat. You need the cheese to melt but the tortilla can't burn. I had to go watch tv in another room while it cooked because I was too tempted to remove the quesadilla early.   

No comments:

Post a Comment