Monday, July 16, 2012

Farro Salad

I ended up making a lot more of this than I meant to because I found a lot of really good-looking vegetables at the market this weekend, and then I had a bunch of leftovers from last week I wanted to cook.  So I had a bowl for dinner last night and I'll be able to have it for lunch at least twice this week.

Ingredients
1 1/2 - 2 cups farro (it was about half of the bag you got me, I didn't measure so I'm not sure)
2 yellow onions (or just one if it's big), chopped
1 pepper, chopped
10 stalks asparagus (I just had some leftover from when we made stir-fry), chopped
2 heirloom tomatoes, chopped
2 ears of corn, with kernels cut off
1 avocado, chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
a handful of cilantro, chopped
Olive oil
Lemon juice

Everything goes in the same bowl. The black beans, tomatoes and avocado don't need to be cooked so they can go in right away.

Boil some water and dump the farro in.  Cook for ~10-15 min until the farro is tender.  Drain and rinse the farro, then add farro to the bowl.

Meanwhile, caramelize the onions in some olive oil over high heat.  Add the peppers and asparagus and saute for a few minutes until everything is tender, then add to the bowl.

Blanche the kernels of corn in some boiling water -- they should only be in there for a minute -- then drain and add to the bowl.

Now everything should be in the bowl; mix it up, pour some olive oil and lemon juice over it and add the cilantro, and mix it again.  You can eat right away but it's also good cold.  The avocado kept at least overnight for me, because of the lemon juice I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment